I’ve always admired orchids, but have never been brave enough to try grow one…then I saw a pattern on Tally’s Treasury and the Butter Orchid kit by Paper Source (which I can’t find on their site anymore).
I had to try it… 🙂
…and here it is!
I want to make a dozen ;).
Here’s the template I designed, adapted from the two sites listed above.
The flowers on the first page can be “ungrouped” and taken apart for pattern pieces, and the colors changed, if you want to try other color combinations.
I wet and dried 110 lb card stock to give it a little texture (ran it under the faucet, then let it sit on a towel until it was dry), then ran it through the ink jet printer for the flower parts (I printed the pot and liner on regular 110 lb. white card stock). The printer needed a little coaxing to accept it…I’ve since made others with plain card stock of different weights & I can’t tell the difference, so I’d say that step is optional!
I used my fingers to gently curl the ends of the 3-fold petals forward & used a crochet hook to gently score a line across the back of the 2-fold petals before curling the top & bottoms backward and the sides forward (on either side of the center). The pink centers are all curled toward their center.
The stems on the individual flowers are 22 gauge galvanized steel wire from Fleet Farm, wrapped in green floral tape. I bent the end of the wire into a 1/4″ hook, hooked it over the 3-fold back petals (hook piece in front) & squeezed it tight with needle nose pliers, then glued the 2-fold petals over the top to secure it (Elmer’s white school glue).
If you didn’t need a stem on the orchid, you could just omit the wire & glue the petals to each other directly–it would be lovely on a card or in a frame!
The center pink petals were only glued at the very center back, between the upper “wings”. The triangular piece was attached with a tiny triangle of mounting tape.
The stem was then arched behind the flower and turned sideways to go along the main stem.
The main stem is 18-gauge floral stem wire wrapped with green floral tape.
For the green bud, the 3-fold green petals (on the page with the leaves) were pierced in the center & the main stem wire fed through. The end of the wire was curled into a tiny circle & glued to the center. Then the petals were cupped & curled toward each other (with the wire circle inside) & glued together at the tips (I just put a little glue at the edges & held them until they stayed together).
The flowers were attached to the stem with more floral tape at the point where the stems turned sideways, and curved to approximate a real orchid plant.
The pot was scored at each corner and glued together at the tabs. The insert was scored and glued together at the edges, but not the top flap. A piece of Styrofoam (from packing material) was cut into a block of roughly 1″x1″x2″ & glued (using Inkssentials “Glossy Accents”–I wasn’t sure Elmer’s would hold), small end down, into the pot. The insert was “closed” (the top flap held in place), held upside down & filled with 5-6 small stones. The pot was placed upside down over the insert & the whole thing gently flipped right side up, shaking to distribute the stones around the Styrofoam (I tried just putting the stones into the pot & adding the insert, but the stones got in the way of the insert). The stones are to keep it from being so top-heavy, so it doesn’t tip over! A hole was pierced through the center of the insert “cover”, and the stem inserted through the hole into the Styrofoam.
The leaves were scored down the center and scored to form veins running roughly parallel to the edge (I modeled them after a photo of a real orchid leaf), then curved by hand. The short stems at the bottom were folded under the leaves & glued to the top of the pot insert on either side of the stem, with the smaller leaves on top.
My printer ran out of yellow ink, so I ended up coloring the leaves with chalks–a bit of a mess! That’s also why I don’t have photos of the process of making the pot–I wasn’t taking them as I went & don’t have the ink to print another one for demonstration purposes–sorry about that!
The top of the pot was then filled with pine bark collected from a stump in our yard.
Let me know if you try your own!