And I made a few modifications…
I wanted the orchid a little larger, so I lengthened the three straplike petals by 2 rows (at the widest point on each).
I wanted the upper side petals to ruffle a little, so I turned the sc of rnd 2 into dc, alternating 2 dc in one stitch & 3 in the next. At the tips, I did 2 dc, trc, 2 dc to turn the corner. The last round was ch2, sk 1 st, sc (repeat around, with ch 2, sc in same st. at the tips).
The center petal I fudged. I don’t have exact instructions, so if you’re a beginner, I’m afraid this is going to be Greek to you! My apologies… If you’re used to trying variations, this will give you grist for the mill. I’ve done 4 of these now & they’re all a little different.
On the first rnd, I only put 7 dc in the first ch. And on Rnd 4, I diverged completely. Instead of going all the way around, I went back & forth for 4 rows, working 8-10 st. On some I started with a 3 dc cluster over the first 3 dc, *dc in next, 2 dc in next (rpt from *2-3x), a 3dc cluster over the next 3 dc, turn (then I’d do something similar back & forth). On others I didn’t multiply the dc, which worked too. The idea is to lengthen the bottom of the lip without lengthening the top.
Once I had 4 rows of back & forth, I started going around again, with dc, ch 1, dc in next st (or edge of st, as the case may be)–that gives it the ruffled edge–to the top center of the lip, where I put 3 (dc ch 1) in one st, sk 1 st, sl st in each of next 3-4 st, sk 1 st, 3 (dc ch 1 in next st) & resume dc ch 1 to the end.
I was aiming for something similar to this.
The last rnd was sc in next ch 1, ch 3 (rpt around), but sl st at the top center of the lip (in sl st of previous rnd)
And yes, the coloring is crayon!
I dropped the whole flower in boiling water, smoothed it out & let it dry (you could starch it).
I tacked the edges of the petals together (could sl st them together on your way around–I would’ve if I’d known ahead of time!), added a pin to the back & voila–a permanent corsage!